Meet the Friends of Lazonby School
To help our school thrive, the Friends of Lazonby School work together with the teachers and staff to benefit every child at our wonderful village school. This is done predominantly by raising funds to buy additional teaching needs but also by creating a range of fun events throughout the year that the children and wider members of the community love to attend.
When you join the school as a parent you automatically become a member of FOLS but by getting involved you can become an important part of helping to ensure that plans can become a reality. We are always open and welcome to your new ideas for the benefit of our children, the school and the community as a whole.
How we raise money:
The majority of our funds are raised through the fun events that we run with most of the funds going directly to school but others sharing proceeds with a local charity; Jigsaw. Our 2019 calendar included:
- March: Easter Disco
- May: Worn Again clothing event
- July: Outdoor Dance Party
- September: Watchtree cycle challenge
- November: Fireworks
- December: Christmas Fayre & Raffle
So you can see there is always something going on!
We raise money in other ways too. This year we started our own FoLS Lottery which has raise £354 to be spend on books for school. Donations from parents are extremely important. You can donate time, money, items for sale, raffle prizes and auction lots or offers of services and skills.
How Recent Monies Have Been Spent:
Through your generous support, the monies we raise are spent according to wish lists compiled by the children with the help of their student council representatives and teachers’ requests. Our meetings are where we discuss and prioritise how funds are spent and in the past few years we have been able to help purchase equipment including:
- 8 tablet PCs (Linx 1010) with keyboards
- School gardens and painting
- Sand toys and outdoor play equipment
- IXL Maths programme &Times Tables Rockstars
- Portable PA system
- 2 tablet PCs (Linx 1010) with keyboards
- 3 iPod Touch devices
- My Maths and Times Tables Rockstars
- Classes “wish lists” (includes 9 bike helmets, remote control cars, outdoor and indoor play equipment, pulley system, water play, wheelbarrow, magnetic polydron set, Classroom CD player and 6 headphones)
- Bookcases for library
- Storage boxes for musical instruments
- Storage boxes for Foundation Stage equipment
- Ipod touch
- Picnic set
- Bushcraft equipment
- Gates for wildlife area
- Plaque for garden
- Bee-bot robot
- New kitchen in the Technology room (worktops, fridge, sink, splash back) with cutlery, crockery and utensils
- Bee-bot robot
- Healthy Heart trophy
- Wooden decking tiles
Any support is greatly appreciated, and you can do this by offering to help before events or at other times during the year, this support is so valuable. It doesn’t matter if you can’t help on a regular basis, or even if you cannot come into school. There are always jobs that can be done from home if you have half an hour to spare e.g. wrapping gifts, preparing raffle tickets etc. We really couldn’t achieve what we do without the behind the scenes help that we receive.
Or you can simply support the AGM and give us your ideas for fundraising events. This is also the time to ask questions or voice your opinion.
FOLS Committee Members:
- Chair: Sam Lambert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice Chair: Becky Crossley
- School Representative: Mr Davies & Chelsea Smith
- Governor representative: Cathy Casey (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: John Kidd
- Secretary: Chelsea Smith
In addition to our named committee members we have a number of parents who generously take on the role of lead organiser for each event.
FOLS is an essential part of our school and all parents and carers are members – we value everyone’s contribution. Our work underpins the whole school with financial support that enables us to create a richer learning environment for our children e.g. the development of our new wing in The Old School House as Lazonby school adapts to accommodate our growing community needs. Numerous curriculum resources have been provided which children throughout the school are able to enjoy. The wide variety of social functions, allow us all to get to know one another in a more relaxed setting allowing the children see their parents and the school staff working together for their benefit. They appreciate this united effort and it adds to their feeling of security. Our school would not be the lively and welcoming learning environment without the enthusiasm, commitment and hard work of the Friends of Lazonby School.